Sunday 3 November 2013

Bit upset about deposit

I booked with Tiffany Chang, taxi guide. We had already paid 30% in deposit. But due to the dangers of the earthquakes and rainy weather near Hualien reported in my local TV news and fears from my travel companions, we decided to skip Taroko Gorge this time.
We contacted Tiffany via email to get a refund, and she refused to give a refund. Which she has a right to (she originally said no refund if cancel within 2 weeks of travel date, we cancelled 10 days from travel date), but I thought I would let you all know just in case it concerns your trip.

This is her response after I lodged a paypal refund request:
"PayPal 通知我, 你提出申訴欲取消此筆訂金付款. 你不覺得你很過份嗎? 這是你沒有信用, 並不是我的問題, 以你此種小人的行為, 我會跟 PayPal 反應, 讓你以後無法在 PayPal 買賣交易. 請記住我在 PayPal 是很有信用的賣家, 以你片面的取消交易, PayPal 是不會採信的."

Now my chinese isn't very good, but this is shocking business communication.

I politely asked for a PARTIAL refund, and well, 10 days out from a trip, any business would provide a partial refund, I was expecting maybe A$10-$25 refund, from the original A$50. This is putting a large damper on my holidays, considering it was going to be a highlight for my trip. Given her response, it is very likely that she will take another customer anyway. It's not sure much the lack of refund, as opposed to the seemingly rude communication (again, my chinese isn't great).

If I was in her position, my response would be something like this,
"I am sorry that you feel that there is danger in the local area. I myself have felt no risk in taking passengers in the area following the earthquake and severe weather. In fact, they have enjoyed it. I hope I can be of service to your next planned trip to Hualien. Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with a refund since I have already scheduled a whole day for you and as you can appreciate, I have turned down other passenger bookings. I still hope you enjoy your trip to Taiwan."

Just a lesson in customer service. 

And a lesson learned from me. Do not send money to overseas people you have never met. Even paypal isn't a strong enough protection.

0 comments:

Post a Comment